TMJ Dentist Brimfield, IL
Visit our TMJ dentist for diagnosis and treatment so you can finally have relief.
What is TMJ?
The term “TMJ” refers to the temporomandibular joints. These joints connect your jawbone to your skull and they are responsible for allowing you to open and close your mouth. Pain in the TMJ joints is fairly common, affecting up to 12 million adults in the United States. A diagnosis by a TMJ specialist is crucial in paving the way for your TMJ treatment to relieve pain in your jaw.
Some of the primary causes of TMJ are:
- Injury or dislocation
- Alignment issues in the teeth or jaw
- Teeth clenching or grinding
Our TMJ dentists can provide a diagnosis and help you develop an effective treatment and prevention plan that will provide the relief you need from your TMJ pain.
How do you know if you have TMJ?
Common symptoms of TMJ include:
- Tenderness or pain in the jaw
- Pain in both or one of the TMJ joints
- Aching in or around the ears
- Facial pain
- Migraine headaches
- Popping sound upon opening or closing the mouth
- Swollen jaw
Call us today at (309) 320-8750 to schedule a consultation with a TMJ dentist.
How is TMJ treated?
Our team of TMJ specialists can start by diagnosing your TMJ pain so that a proper treatment plan can be developed. The method of treatment often depends on the cause of the individual’s TMJ pain, whether it’s clenching, alignment issues, arthritis, or something else.
We’ll work with you to treat your TMJ pain and provide much-needed relief. Some common treatments that have been proven effective at alleviating TMJ discomfort include:
- Treating undiagnosed sleep breathing disorders
- Braces or aligners to fix poor tooth alignment
- Dental appliance or bite guard to prevent clenching or grinding
- Muscle relaxers or anti-inflammatory medications
- Jaw surgery for extreme cases of TMJ where bone or tissue growth is hindering the joint
Did you know:
Most dental insurances cover 100% of your twice-a-year dental cleanings and exams. For those without insurance, ask about our in-house membership plan, starting at $30/month.
How can I relieve TMJ pain on my own?
There are actually some methods you can employ at home to relieve and prevent further pain in the TMJ area:
- Avoid chewing gum or ice
- Try sleeping on your back instead of your stomach
- Don’t bite your fingernails
- Try not to make extreme jaw movements like yelling, singing, or yawning
- Eat soft foods when pain presents
- Apply a moist heat pack to the side of your face for 10 minutes
- Practice stress-relieving techniques like meditation or exercise
Can TMJ go away on its own?
What are my payment options?
At Brimfield Family Dentistry, we believe everyone deserves high-quality care, regardless of their financial situation. We’re in-network with most major insurance providers and offer flexible payment plans with 0% interest. No insurance? That’s okay! We have an in-house membership plan for uninsured patients. Learn more about our payment options.
Hear from our patients
As someone who deals with a lot of anxiety around going to the dentist, everyone there put me at ease and went above and beyond to make sure I was comfortable.
– Holly H.
Only the best for you and your family
At Brimfield Family Dentistry, we consider it an honor to provide comprehensive, personalized dental care to you and your family. We prioritize long-term relationships with our patients and specialize in a wide range of general, surgical, and cosmetic dental procedures to ensure we can provide you with the care you need.
Your comfort is important to us. If you struggle with dental anxiety, we can work with you to make your visit with us as comfortable and manageable as possible, and we have sedation options for those who need it.
New Patient? Start Here
Now Welcoming New Patients
Come and see us — we can’t wait to get to know you!